Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Phillipians 4:8

...How does your garden grow?



.
Right now.. pretty good (or is it well?).

Rewind 3 months and we had a different story to tell. About Easter time, I decided it would be fun to start a garden with Regan. I thought it would be neat to start from seed, indoors, so she could water them everyday and watch them grow. We had a blast for about two weeks or so. We bought seed and dirt, planted them in egg cartons and put them inside ziploc bags. Everyday we would pull them out of the bags and spray them with water.

In no time, our seeds sprouted and Regan was very excited. The kitchen counter where we housed them only got sun for a small part of the day, so I made every effort to get them exposure in other places, at other times of the day. Sometimes I could put them in front of the slider or kitchen door, but that only worked when Sage was asleep. When it got a little warmer, I started putting them on the deck, on a table. That turned out to be our demise. A windy day took all but one carton and blew them off the table. They were still in the ziplocs, so I had hoped for the best. A few days wait proved the worst. I think we could have salvaged a couple plants, but it was no longer worth it.

I have to admit, I had to gain my own composure before telling Regan what had happened. I knew she would be sad and I didn't want her to feed off my own emotion. I was very sad as well. I am not a great 'green thumb' and was pretty proud of how diligent we had been in taking care of these plants to this point, only to have it all blown away.

I assured her that not all was lost and we could try buying plants in a couple of months. So, in late May, early June, Daddy finished our garden space by the house and we started over. We bought tomato, yellow watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew plants. We also planted beans, carrots and pumpkins from seed. Daddy transplanted some raspberry bushes that were not thriving on the other side of the house.

The original pumpkins were planted out in the yard by the wildflowers, but apparently they make a tasty treat for the deer. So, today, we used the last free space in the garden by the house to plant one more mound of pumpkin seeds.


The actual garden is watered daily by the sprinklers. To continue our gardening experience with Regan, we planted a few of the beans in a planter on the deck. She waters them everyday. It has been fun to watch her excitement as the beans have grown 'so huge!'.

I look forward to eating the fruits of our labor in a couple of months!