Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Phillipians 4:8

More on Contentment...

I am still working through 'A Woman of Contentment' by Dee Brestin. From today's study..."Truth is the key to contentment. We have an enemy who whispers lies to us for his own purposes. He will steal our contentment and the days given to us to glorify God. We must use the sword of the Spirit to defeat him, daily breathing biblical truth into our souls."and later in the lesson..."Each circumstance has its own joys and sorrows, and we must learn contentment in each new place that the Lord leads us."

I have experienced the truth of these two things in my own life. I have seen first hand, especially over the last 3-4 years how satan loves to whisper lies to me...'you could be doing something more important that just being a stay-at-home mom'...'your home is a disaster, don't you see all the things that need to be done?'... 'wouldn't you be better of moving to a different home?'...just to name a couple. I have learned how important seeking biblical truth DAILY is in fighting these thoughts. I can tell the days when I don't spend time with my Savior and Lord, because my attitude usually reflects it.

I have learned, too, that I must find contentment in each new place God leads me. Even when I don't understand God's purposes, like Paul's work schedule, I still need to seek contentment while I wait for God to change the situation. If I don't find contentment, then I am filled with frustration and bitterness and can't reflect God's greatness and faithfulness to me. I am learning to find that contentment in God alone and not in people or things. I am learning that I need daily reminders, by being in His word and spending time in prayer, in order to maintain that contentment.

As I spent time in conversations yesterday, with some other young moms, about finances, staying at home, etc., I reflected on how it seems like the 'grass is always greener' for everyone. Whether your home is big or small, there always seems to be a better situation 'out there'. I know that is how satan tries to work in our lives, by making us not happy with what we have.

I pray that I can use the things God is teaching me about contentment to continue to find joy in my own life and to be contagious to those around me in doing the same.

0 comments: