Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Phillipians 4:8

Pulled Pork BBQ

Through some unique circumstances, we ended up with a whole pig in our freezer this summer. It has been processed by a butcher and has items in it that I had no idea what to do with. With guests coming over yesterday, I decided to see if I could make some pulled pork BBQ from our abundance of pork. A recipe search online sent me looking for a shoulder roast amongst my stash, but with no luck. What I did find was a smoked picnic. Another recipe search online clued me in that the picnic is made from a shoulder roast. Our picnic was already smoked and looked pretty much like a ham. I wasn't certain if it would actually break down and shred into pork, but figured I didn't have much to lose.

I put the approximately 5lb smoked picnic, still partially frozen, in my crockpot at 9pm and smothered it with my homemade BBQ sauce (prepared ahead, recipe below). I set the heat to low and went to bed. When I checked it in the morning, I could tell it was going to shred into a very nice BBQ. By noon I was able to remove the bone and large fat pieces and pull all the meat apart. I removed a bit of liquid fat and added in a bit more BBQ sauce and let the whole thing continue to cook on low for our 5 pm dinner. It was a big hit with the entire bunch, even the 6 kids devoured it!

My homemade BBQ sauce recipe started from the 'Spicy Franks' recipe in Crockpot Cuisine cookbook. The main reason we started making our own sauce is that neither Paul or I are big pepper fans and most bottled sauces contain pepper. We have made slight modifications to the original recipe and have modified the quantities to make a large batch to keep in the fridge. We buy a commercial size container of ketchup at Sam's club and put the finished sauce right back in the container after cooking and cooling.

BBQ Sauce (32 servings)

1 bottle 114 oz Ketchup
2 3/8 cup firmly packed brown sugar
9 5/8 Tbs red wine vinegar
6 3/8 Tbs soy sauce
6 3/8 Tbs dijon mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
liquid smoke to taste

Cook in crock pot on high 1 to 2 hours.

Nothing says summer like a good BBQ!!! :)

2 comments:

Chanell said...

You totally read my mind. I was just about to email for the recipe when I saw the link! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe Christy. (except now I'm hungry...) Think I'll buy a pork roast next time I'm in town. (my freezer only has fresh beef right now)