Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Phillipians 4:8

PANNEKOEKEN

Call it pannekoeken, call it puffy pancake, call it German or call it Dutch...I call it Yummy!!!

I can still remember the first time I tried it. I can't remember the name of the restaurant, I can't remember if I was alone or with someone, but I can remember that delicious pannekoeken I tried while at college in Houghton, Michigan.

I found and made a recipe many moons ago, but forgot all about this delicious dish! When I started looking around for recipes that used lots of eggs (due to the abundance from our six chickens), I remembered this wonderful treat.

With all the recipes around, I somehow stumbled on this one from Dandelion Mama - German Apple Pancake. While I am sure her recipe is every bit as delectable as she describes, I have to admit I have never made it exactly as she describes. I needed to come up with something a little bit healthier that I can feed my family on a regular basis.

Based on her recipe, a couple reader comments and some of my own tweaks, this is how I make it for my family.

  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 2-3 large firm apples, thinly sliced with skins left on (core removed)
  • 1 cup milk (usually 1%)
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup wheat germ
  • 8 large whole eggs
  • 4 egg whites
  • 6 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  • Place 2 Tbsp butter in 9x13 pan and put in oven until melted.
  • Add apples to melted butter and cook in oven for 5 minutes.
  • Combine flours, wheat germ, milk, eggs, egg whites, sugar and vanilla in blender and mix until smooth.
  • Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon on apples and pour batter on top - apples will mostly float to the top
  • Bake until puffy and golden, usually 20-25 minutes
  • Dust with powdered sugar. 
It comes out of the oven all toasted and puffy.


 After about five minutes or so, it deflates a bit and is cooled enough to serve up.


 Yumm-ie-oso!!
There is no complaining at dinner when I serve this up! :)

2 comments:

KC said...

Sounds good, Christy!

Janine said...

Why have I never heard of this?!!! :) Sounds delicious!