Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Phillipians 4:8

Spiritual Warfare

Earlier this week, Paul and I took a little trip down memory lane as we combed over some pictures of him growing up. One of them we got a good laugh about was from the 80's. Even if the date wasn't on it, there would have been no mistaking what era it was from. I sought permission to share here, but was vehemently shot down, so you will have to use your imagination.

Today, my musical mind has jogged down memory lane, as I have been humming/singing in my head a fine Amy Grant tune from the 80s. I listened to this LP so many times growing up, I probably wore it out! It is called 'Angels watching over Me'. The part of the lyrics that I have been focusing on is:

God only knows the times my life was threatened just today.
A reckless car ran out of gas before it ran my way.
Near misses all around me, accidents unknown,
Though I never see with human eyes the hands that lead me home.
But I know they’re all around me all day and through the night.
When the enemy is closing in, I know sometimes they fight
To keep my fight from falling, I’ll never turn away.
If you’re asking what’s protecting me then you’re gonna hear me say:

Got his angels watching over me, every move I make,
Angles watching over me!
Angels watching over me, every step I take,
Angels watching over me....

Angels watching over me....
Angels watching over me.

I have been thinking about this song because I believe in Spiritual warfare, and I believe I am under attack. I have blogged recently about some sleep issues with Sage waking me up at night (which we are still working through). In addition to that, Regan has woke up 3 times this month with 'bad dreams'. Normally, this would happen maybe once in 3 months. Then, last week, a neighbors cat came on our deck, causing our cat to have a 'hissy fit' at 2:30 a.m. (The neighbor's cat was fortunate that I don't know how to use Paul's 22!). I have also had many nights of insomnia, either not able to fall asleep, or waking up and not being able to get back to sleep.

So, what in the world do these things have to do with spiritual warfare?? Well, about a year ago, I made a commitment to try and do my daily devotions and prayer time in the morning when Paul leaves for work, which is 6:00 a.m. This has worked out fairly well, I have had times of lapsing, but for the most part have been pretty faithful to that commitment. When I have these issues that impact my nights sleep, I justify skipping my morning devotions in trade for some extra sleep. I usually make up my devotion time when the girls take their naps in the afternoon.

Next Tuesday, I begin leading the Mom's Bible study at Calvary Church. So, yesterday, it dawned on me that I think these sleep interruptions have been Satan's way of trying to thwart my studies and preparations for this Bible Study!

I am renewing my commitment to do my studies/devotions in the mornings, regardless of the night's interruptions and trusting and relying on God to be my source of strength and energy on the days when sleep is deprived. This may be a small battle in the war Satan is waging, but I am determined to win this one! I am trusting my Angels to watch over me, help me to sleep when I can, and help me to be awake when I need to be!

1 comments:

Crissa said...

This evening I am scheduled to facilitate my Women's Bible Study discussion. Around 4:00 this afternoon I blew up at the kids. As I was talking to Mike about it, he reminded me of your blog entry and Mike wondered aloud if maybe there's spiritual warfare happening here, too.

I'm praying that my headache and angry spirit continues to recede and that I can help the women (and myself) learn something about God in our lesson this evening... in spite of myself.

The kids and I will add you to our daily prayer time -- praying you are able to get the sleep/rest your body needs; praying that Sage is able to adjust her sleeping pattern and that Regan has peaceful sleep. We'll pray, too, that you are able to lead your Women's bible study as God would like.